10:47 AM

Nunsense @ The Devon Theater

Posted by Skye |

hello
Opening night at the newly restored Devon Theater of the Performing Arts, featuring the inaugural show - Nunsense. The photo above shows a small detail from the stage - a record painted onto the floor commemorating opening night (328-2009), I love little details like this!

The night out to see
Nunsense was a birthday gift for mom, I made sure we had front row seats - so the Little Sisters of Hoboken would be sure to quiz her!

I'm no theater critic, I simply love live performance, whether it is music or drama. I can report that the house was packed, the seats were comfy and the show was fabulous. What made it work was the brilliant chemistry between the cast members.

When the unexpected happened, as always in a live show, it was handled with aplomb! Reverend Mother's prayer chain snapped (Save us Holy Spirit!), the beads went flying in every direction and the cast handled it well by picking up the beads as part of their act!

My seat neighbor had the opportunity to tour backstage and noted that the production technology was first class. He was happy to see the funding raised for this project was spent wisely regarding tech stuff. I am sorry to say that I did not get his name, as he was very popular with the Little Sister's, I did not want incur the wrath of the Reverend Mother and her clicker.

The show was spectacular, the theater is just the right size, and did I tell you about the comfy seats? I believe this is the start of a great relationship, and I hope my readers take the time to visit this new theater, you'll love it too!

Cinema Treasures
, an online theater guide, has a great post from 2004 which contains a running dialogue up until till March 2009. The ensuing commentary provides a fascinating look from those who worked at the Devon and from those who have a keen interest in theater history of the transformation of the Devon from run down eyesore to a sparkling new theater.

Clicky Web Analytics